National Guard & Reserves
If you’re a member of the National Guard, or are willing and able to join
National Guard, you may be eligible to apply for federal jobs located within a National
Jobs within a National Guard unit are in the excepted service , so it’s important to read the Who
Apply section of the job announcement to understand if you’re eligible or what you need to do to
eligible. Some jobs:
- Require you to already be a National Guard member in a specific state.
- Require you to already be a National Guard member, but willing to transfer to a specific
- Are open to anyone, but you must join the National Guard to accept the job.
- Require you to wear a National Guard uniform.
Who May Apply
section may say:
- Restricted to CURRENT members of the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Reserves or
Duty Military – Only a current member of one of these groups is eligible for this job.
- United States Citizens – Anyone is eligible, but you have to join the National Guard to
- AREA 1 – Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard. (Does not
include temporary technicians).
- AREA 2 – Open to current military members of the Michigan National Guard – You must already
member of the Michigan National Guard to be eligible. Preference is given to current
technicians, because the job is specific to that skill set.
- Current Warrant officer (CW3 & below) or Enlisted (E6 or above) members of the ND Army or
National Guard – You must have a specific rank within the North Dakota National Guard to be
eligible for this job.
- US Citizens and Federal Employees with status – Anyone or federal employees with status are
eligible, but you have to join the National Guard.
How do I know a job is open to National Guard & Reserves?
In the job announcement look for the This job is open to section. When a job is open to National
Guard & Reserves, or those willing to join, you’ll see this icon: There may be other groups
that can also apply.
In search you can also select the National Guard filter. Your results will display all jobs open
the National Guard, reserves, and those willing to join.
The National Guard for each state requires different forms. You will likely need to complete
demonstrate prior military or federal service if appropriate. Standard forms that you may need
complete are listed below.